Tuesday 21 January 2014

New Years Day 2014 - Captain Cooks Fell Race

Thought I'd best write a few words about the Captain Cooks Fell Race on New Years Day.

It was another cold and windy day, with the rain arriving as we set off. There were loads of people there that I knew which is always nice!
The route is a cracker, starts outside the Royal Oak in Great Ayton, leaves the village and is on good track for a while til we pass through a farm, already very wet and muddy. Then the climbing begins... On a stony track for starters, then it gets really steep in the woods, all the way up to Captain Cooks monument. Short flat bit to catch your breath then its down down down! Cock Shaw hill then off the main path for a steep, slippery muddy descent. I must admit, i went to pieces here and lost about 9 places, some of which I'd fought hard for on the climb up, grr. My own fault, need to grow a pair for downhilling!
We tipped out onto the road and I clawed back a position or two.
The road sweeps back on it's self up a short but stiff climb then over a field and into trees. The path was very muddy and populated with walkers, most of whom moved out of the way...
Bit more gentle decent on grass, over the railway line and down a fenced path. I thought the finish was closer than it was and ran hard, thankfully I kept it going and had a good finish in the village green.

Managed to PB, but not by much. Hilary had beaten me despite saying she was feeling a bit rough and was just out for a 'pootle'.

No comments:

Post a Comment